ThaiGameDevX - Thai Game Developers eXchange Forums
21 November 2017, 06:58:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: หากมาครั้งแรก เชิญอ่าน ประกาศเจตนารมณ์ของ ThaiGameDevX และ กติกา ข้อตกลงในการใช้เว็บบอร์ด ครับ

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to know the console development environment.  (Read 1994 times)
DDTmanSP
Approved Member

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +0/-0

โปรแกรมเมอร์สายสะเตร๊ง

« on: 16 March 2010, 09:00:44 AM »

I'm now trying to sign up for a job as a game programmer. And as a new graduated student I don't know anything about the tools that is used to develop a game such as PS3 , Wii or even handheld like NDS. And that is because I've so far developed many games as my hobby using Visual Studio either C# and C++ (even Java or python I have ever tried it out.) So I would like anyone who have ever been in the game development industries to share about little knowledge for example, debugging tools or some console's API. If I have been approved to be employee in a company, I have to start learning those API right ? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Also, I have wondered so far that how can I apply my OpenGL skill when I developing a console game.

Job Level 1. Exp 99%
JasonS
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2010, 12:11:51 AM »

Our studio (Novaleaf) is hiring.  We focus on XBox360 development.  If you'd like to apply, send me (JasonS at Novaleaf)  your resume and transcript, and any portfolio you may have.

If I don't find you acceptable for our studio, it will most likely be because you are too junior.  However, I would be happy to give you feedback about what I think you could do to improve your chances with other studios.  But since what you should do to improve your chances is really related to your qualifications, it'd be best to give you that feedback after you send me your resume/transcript.  (and you can apply for a job at the same time)

For other people who are reading this reply, I'd give these general recomendations:
- Good grades matter, but only to get your first job.  After that, it's your practical skills that matter.
- Applied problem solving (that illusive "common sence") will get you very very far in life.  If you have awesome problem solving skills, make sure to emphasize this in a job interview/application.  Because most people do not have a very strong analytical mind (and this is needed for development)
- Software development (not just games) is a collaborative effort.  No good studio will mind if you don't have a game to show.  Show that you have good teamwork skills, and can design, implement, and test your own feature areas
- A portfolio is nice, but don't ever include crappy things in your portfolio.  At worst, it will make people think you suck as a coder.  At best, it will make people think you don't know the difference between good or bad work.  (Both outcomes are bad).  Instead, have a very focused portfolio of your truely AWESOME work.  How a physics system you implemented, or how you implemented Valve's Team Fortress toon shader in XNA, or something else you are truely proud of.
- Most important:  KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM!  improve, polish your algorithm, "core computer science" skills.  If this is what you want to do as your career, then be the best at what you do.
yod
Global Moderator

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +150/-15

« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2010, 03:50:28 AM »

>> Also, I have wondered so far that how can I apply my OpenGL skill when I developing a console game.

You didn't say iPhone but OpenGL. I can tell that you can do half ObjC half C/C++ and OpenGL ES 1.1 / 2.0 with them.

The debugging tools of most console are prohibited.

You better write resume and portfolio 2-3 times. Try google to see what is the best pattern match for your work and the company requirements.

My own opinion, If you have both good programming and communication skill plus good common sence. grade doesn't matter. I saw you have done well for problem solving with my little hint.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: