ThaiGameDevX - Thai Game Developers eXchange Forums
21 November 2017, 06:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: หากมาครั้งแรก เชิญอ่าน ประกาศเจตนารมณ์ของ ThaiGameDevX และ กติกา ข้อตกลงในการใช้เว็บบอร์ด ครับ

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have any c#, multithreading, or engine architecture questions?  (Read 3913 times)
novaleaf

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +2/-0

« on: 27 December 2009, 09:43:45 PM »

If you don't mind asking in english, I could probably help out w/that Wink

I would also say I could help out with game design questions, but that topic is rather.....   subjective.

Saharaoasis

« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2009, 01:00:37 AM »

I have a question about creating games in XNA using networking

I've been looking about the limitations of using the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net
to create PC2PC between computers (via Lan / via internet) and was wondering was it possible
and if the players don't have any window live ID is this possible?

or do I have to use other network libraries? (i'm looking at lidgren currently)
Thaina
Approved Member

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +29/-83

« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2009, 01:23:03 AM »

XNA is making to compatible in XBox. That recommmend you to use Peer2Peer with LiveID.

If you want to use any other kind of communication in PC platform. Using other network library instead of Xna.Framework.Net is better choice.

You can use XNA to be just a graphics library is able.
In my case, I think I will use other input library too. Because XNA does not support any joystick except Microsoft's one.
novaleaf

« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2009, 01:37:45 AM »

I have a question about creating games in XNA using networking

I've been looking about the limitations of using the Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net
to create PC2PC between computers (via Lan / via internet) and was wondering was it possible
and if the players don't have any window live ID is this possible?

or do I have to use other network libraries? (i'm looking at lidgren currently)

xna networking can be used on xbox and pc, each player will need a windows live id, but more painful is that you need to include the 50mb xna-networking redistributable.    another potential drawback is that it doesnt support a client-server model  (30 p2p connections only).  of course you can fake a server with this model, but just fake.

most xna developers I know that focus on pc are using lidgren, and my own research with it shows promise.  we plan on using it in the future also.

XNA is making to compatible in XBox. That recommmend you to use Peer2Peer with LiveID.

If you want to use any other kind of communication in PC platform. Using other network library instead of Xna.Framework.Net is better choice.

You can use XNA to be just a graphics library is able.
In my case, I think I will use other input library too. Because XNA does not support any joystick except Microsoft's one.

there are benifits to xna's networking library (from an API/SDK perspective, it's pretty awesome, and the service uses microsofts matchmaking system which is very good/powerful).    However I think the problems I outlined above (additional binary requirements, and windows live ID) can be too much baggage.

thaina, fyi your comment about input/joystick isnt really relevant to the question asked, but it's actually curious to see that most big "aaa" games support the xbox gamepad only.  FYI what we did with our PC version of Biology Battle (our first XNA game) is use the xna input for xbox controllers that are plugged in, and the directX input for "generic" controllers.   So it's not really needed to pick "either/or"
Saharaoasis

« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2009, 01:56:27 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply  Grin
Thaina
Approved Member

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +29/-83

« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2009, 02:20:42 AM »

I just want to say that you can use XNA only some parts and use other libraries in other parts,especially in PC.
It can works well together.

Also about the input joystick that is just an example of my personal game project.
Just say "You can use any network library with XNA like my case that will use other input library with XNA".

I think many people want to [Client-Server] and try to let player playing without windows live ID so I say in that way.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2009, 02:22:13 AM by Thaina » Logged
yod
Global Moderator

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +150/-15

« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2009, 07:48:59 AM »

Do you means http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-library-network/
A UDP network ?

Since I didn't have XBOX360 .. so I have no idea about " System.Net.Sockets " Is it compatible with XBOX360 ?

ps.#Thaina, I'm so confusing about your network lib vs. input joystock ^^"

novaleaf

« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2010, 05:08:06 AM »

system.net sockets are not usable on xbox.   FYI the lidgren lib uses system.net sockets as it's base, so of course that wouldnt work on xbox.

using xna, only the xna.framework.net libraries can be used.
yod
Global Moderator

จำนวน ชม/ไม่พอใจ: +150/-15

« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2010, 02:23:15 AM »

thank you : )

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: